Sunday, February 26, 2012

Reaching for the Invisible God - Philip Yancey


Synopsis from B&N:  How does a relationship with God really work? How do I relate to a God who is invisible, when I'm never quite sure he's there? How do I know him? How do I communicate with him? How do I live my life growing in my understanding of him, living more and more with a conscious awareness of him, doing more of those things he indicates are good for me--and others?
Okay, first I have a very embarrassing confession to make:  I have owned this book for over a decade (bought summer of 2001) and have never read it.  This is part of my reason for my personal “read through the bookshelves” challenge.  And in good news linked to that goal, I only have ONE (yes, that’s right, 1) booked checked out from the library currently.  AND IT GETS BETTER…that book is my book club book for March.  So after a year or so of playing around with me goal, I’m actually forcing myself to read the things on my shelves.
The results…
Great finds like this book by Philip Yancey.  It was such an encouraging read.  I’m going through a season of life when God, quite frankly, seems not here.  And it’s been frustrating and I wonder what I’ve done to push Him away.  In this book, I found hope and answers.  We all go through seasons where we don’t “feel” God, but He’s still right there.  And I just need to keep doing what I know to do in life and keep seeking Him.  Keep the focus. 
A relationship with an invisible God is in many ways more challenging than with the visible people in my life.  But He’s much more gracious regarding my foibles and failed attempts to connect. 
I recommend this for any believer…or for anyone searching for if there even is a God.

No comments:

Post a Comment