Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Legacy - Nevil Shute

Book club book for May.


The Legacy was also published as A Town like Alice. It is the story of a young woman who comes into a sizeable inheritance. Jean Paget returned to England after suffering through the war in Malaya. While working as a typist, she is notified of money in a trust for her left by her late uncle. Jean wants to do something useful with her money and returns to Malaya and the people who helped her. While there she learns more regarding the man who risked his life to help her. And so she sets forth to Australia and adventure.

This book seemed a little slow and somewhat predictable to me. But sometimes I like predictable. I think it was slow because I sort of knew what it was about (or thought I did but misunderstood some of that) and kept waiting for things to happen.

I really liked Jean’s “go get ‘em” attitude and how the story is told through the point of view of her solicitor back in England.

Verdict: Worth a read

No comments:

Post a Comment