Thursday, June 16, 2011

Kate: The Making of a Princess - Claudia Joseph

Synopsis from Borders.com: Kate Middleton is the girl everyone wants to be. Catherine Elizabeth "Kate" Middleton is living a perfect Cinderella fairy tale. She is engaged to Britain's most desirable bachelor—and now she's the future queen of England!

Based on exclusive and intimate interviews with Kate's closest friends and relatives, and illustrated throughout with photographs, many published here for the very first time, Claudia Joseph's Kate: The Making of a Princess is a fascinating portrait of the extraordinary young woman who will be queen—and the story of a family's remarkable journey from the mining villages of Durham to an apartment in the royal residence of Clarence House.

My disclaimer is that I read this as a digital book. So some of my issues with the book may or may not be a result of that.

I was looking forward to reading this book (since I have a mild obsession with all things royal) but finished it feeling rather disappointed and unsatisfied. It says the book is based on exclusive and intimate interviews. I’m not sure how valid that is. There were a few quotes from friends and great aunts and second/third cousins, etc. But I don’t know how intimate those “interviews” were. And most of the material seemed like information you could have gathered from the society pages.

Also, the chronology of the book was not okay. It kept jumping back and forth and back again between generations and branches of the family tree. Now, this is one issue with it being in digital form: apparently there was a diagram of Kate’s family tree in the back of the book. That would have been more than helpful to reference throughout the reading. However, since it was digital I didn’t know it was there until I’d finished my reading.

Even with Prince William and Kate’s relationship, the narrative would bounce around in time, often repeating events that had already been covered.

This is the first book I’ve read on the current Princess Catherine. My advice is to skip it and pick a different biography to get your royal info fix. There is a plethora of them to choose from.

No comments:

Post a Comment