Sunday, March 11, 2012

Number the Stars - Lois Lowry

Summary from B&N:  This Newbery Medal Book describes how a ten-year-old Danish girl's bravery is tested when her best friend is threatened by Nazis in 1943.
I am getting ready to start the 8th grade Holocaust unit in conjunction with our social studies teacher.  Number the Stars is written on a fifth grade level, and I have not read it before.  It is also a book on my bookshelf.  So I read it on my flights to D.C.

I found it to be very…bland.  Probably because I have read so many other Holocaust stories – and most of those being survivor tales.

However, I do think this could serve as a decent introduction to the horrific time in history.  It tells the story of Annemarie, a non-Jewish girl in Denmark, and how the Nazis affected her and her friend’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment