Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Help - Kathryn Stockett

This was my book club book for this month.


Love, love, LOVED it.

It was a real eye-opener to me about how different our society was even just fifty years ago and made me wonder how much more (good, bad, both) it will change in the next fifty years.

This book tells the tale of white women in 1960s Mississippi and thier African-American (see, now they were referred to as "black" throughout the book and that makes more sense as I said "white" women not Anglo-American but I feel that wouldn't be politically correct - I've been trained well - and wouldn't want to cause offense) household help.

The story line encompeses several maids and their employers but the stars of the show are Aibileen and Minny (as maids) and Skeeter and Hilly (white women). This novel take you through both the good and the bad of these interactions. Sometimes the situations were mutually benefial to both. More often, though, it was a difficult situation for the maids to be in. To take care of someone's home but not be able to eat at the same table or use the same bathroom. To raise someone's kids to the point the kids are now adults and are your employer, treating you with disdain.

I really enjoyed seeing how the characters grew and developed through their interactions and events. I also liked learning a bit more about that time in history through the real events Stockett included.

I could have done without some of the language and the naked man scene.

Over all, an excellent job for a first novel. Everyone in my book club liked it (well, I think one enjoyed it for the most part but not the end).

No comments:

Post a Comment