Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - David Wroblewski

This book is not one on my bookshelf. However, I read it on the sort-of recommendation of a friend. She had bought it and thought it might be too dark for her, so I said I’d give it a try. I found it interesting for the most part.


Edgar Sawtelle was born mute but with an uncanny ability to sign and communicate in his own way. He lived on a farm in remote Wisconsin helping his parents breed “Sawtelle dogs.” These dogs have amazing abilities in following commands and as companions.

Edgar’s life is all a boy can ask for until the day his father dies. His mother and he try to continue on with the dogs until his uncle (his father’s brother) steps into both the business and his mother’s arms. Edgar reacts and is forced to flee into the woods with three of the pups he’s been training. There he finds some of the strength he needs to return home.

This story was VERY well told. It was slow starting out but a few chapters in I was really engaged with the characters and the storyline.

As far as it being dark, the first half of the book wasn’t. But towards the middle, there were definitely some darker or more oppressive themes and scenes.

It’s a big book, but in my opinion, worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment