Monday, June 21, 2010

Fanny & Sue - Karen Stolz

I will have to admit, I did not like this book much for the first four chapters…and then again at the end.


It is a tale of two sisters – twins – growing up in Depression Era St. Louis. The first four chapters really had no voice. It wasn’t until I got to chapter five and the chapter “voice” swaps between Fanny and Sue for the ensuing chapters that I really started getting into it.

It is definitely an easy read. Nothing real heavy or deep. And it keeps moving (the 236 page books covers from 4 or 5 years old until about 20). I enjoyed reading about the places in St. Louis I have visited – Casa Loma, Ted Drewe’s, the Muny, etc. – and their experience there.

There were some holes in the story and I struggled to understand why Sue always bowed to Fanny’s dictates – so I chalked it up to their connection and Fanny’s first born nature.

And I hated the end. Too many loose ends. Grrr…

No comments:

Post a Comment