Friday, August 13, 2010

Your Best Life Now - Joel Osteen

I know I’m several years behind on reading this one. But the reminders it contains came at a good time, for sure.


In this book, Pastor Joel Osteen lays out “7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential.” These seven steps are:

1. Enlarging Your vision

We need to look out of where we are right now and what current situations and circumstances our lives are in and envision more. Along with that comes having a continual awareness that the favor of God is on our lives because we are His children and to believe for that favor.

2. Develop a Healthy Self-Image

Have an understanding of who we are in Christ and be happy with where we are on the way to where we’re going.

3. Discover the Power of Your Thoughts and Words

Our thoughts and words shape our present and our future. We need to be so careful of what we think and say. I know that I have a propensity to look at the more realistic to negative end of the spectrums. So I have been trying to consciously replace those thoughts and words with more positive ones…preferably based on God’s Word and what He says for and about me.

4. Let Go of the Past

Whew. This is a tricky one for me. I’m not very good at it at all. I do tend to hold onto things, even when I don’t want to. They pop into my mind at inopportune times (see point 3). But God is my avenger, and He will do it far better than I did. But even beyond that, I need to forgive and let go for me. I find myself having a hard time with balancing forgiveness with not putting myself into the same situations to be beaten up (figuratively) again.

5. Find Strength through Adversity

Jesus promised us in the Bible that we *will* have hard times. It’s a given part of life and this world. But He follows that up with the encouragement that He has overcome the world. He’s already done it and that gives me hope.

Also, God will use any trial and adversity for the ultimate good. So, hey, at least the trouble is worthwhile. :)

6. Live to Give

I need to give more out of my needs. The whole principle of sewing and reaping. This one isn’t so hard for me though – I love to give. Sometimes to the extent of being empty myself.

7. Choose to be Happy

Happiness is a choice. Focus on the moment. Live for today. And have enthusiasm in that living.

2 comments:

  1. Call me shallow, but I just can't take that face seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mickey - I hear what you're saying. And I certainly don't agree with everything he wrote and don't go far as "name it and claim it" theology. Still, there was some decent advise in there.

    ReplyDelete