Sunday, May 13, 2012

Wish You Well - David Baldacci


Synopsis from B&N:  Precocious 12-year-old Louisa Mae Cardinal lives in the hectic New York City of 1940 with her family.  Then tragedy strikes—and Lou and her younger brother, Oz, must go with their invalid mother to live on their great-grandmother's farm in the Virginia mountains.  Suddenly Lou finds herself coming of age in a new landscape, making her first true friend, and experiencing adventures tragic, comic, and audacious. But the forces of greed and justice are about to clash over her new home . . . and as their struggle is played out in a crowded Virginia courtroom, it will determine the future of two children, an entire town, and the mountains they love.

I have been a reader of Baldacci’s works for many years now.  I got hooked on him by reading The Christmas Train in a book club forever and a day ago.  And since then have read – and enjoyed - several of his political intrigue books. 

So when I came across this book and first started reading it, it took me a bit to really get into the plot.  It is SO different from what I’m used to reading by him.  And, quite frankly, I found the story a bit plodding at times. 

However, by halfway through the book I was pretty engaged with the characters.  I really enjoyed the depth of the elder Louisa’s character.  I felt compassion for Oz and was rooting for Lou.  Really, all of the characters were wonderfully written.  They certainly are the heart and soul of the story.

By the time the book was finished, I was sad it was ending.  And my conclusion is that while Baldacci writes amazing political/legal thrillers, this book was wonderful in its own way as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment