Monday, January 11, 2010

A Career Girl's Guide to Becoming a Stepmom - Jacquelyn B. Fletcher

So, I am not really a “Career Girl” in terms of climbing the corporate ladder and such. Although I have had the opportunity to, my heart is for teaching. Not a large ladder there – and I certainly wouldn’t ever want to climb it to an administrator’s level. Yuck! Too much responsibility and not enough time with kids.


However, that being said, there were still some really valuable tips and ideas and comfort to pull from this book. I do have skills that I have used in various jobs in this step-parenting thing – debate, organization, negotiation. And it is also important to not lose me in the step-mommying. I am still me. And I need to still pursue my interests and not just be wrapped up in homework, PTO, and chauffeuring kids around. Yes, I need to do that too, but to find the balance.

And, at the end of the day, my marriage is about me and him. The girls, the ex-, etc. certainly all affect that. But what am I doing each and every day to invest in this relationship that will last long after the kids move out of the house.

Of course, the book had some required venting as well. We step-mom’s all need to read/hear that every now and then to know we are not evil for having less than positive thoughts and feelings all the time. It allows us to let ourselves off the hook a bit.

Practical, entertaining, easy (to read…not so much to implement all the time).

No comments:

Post a Comment